?

Log in

A Fine Degree of

Clean up for Health

Journal Info

Sascha
Name
A Fine Degree of

Clean up for Health

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Sascha

Ultra Violet light and Contaminates within the home

 

                The problem that one LJ reader proposed to me was that they had a small UV light and was wanting to know applications for clean up on their household.  First you have to understand the nature of the beast that is presenting a problem and they expressed there was an issue with mold. This was the question:

 

Subject: Re: UV Light
I want to purify the whole house but the UV light I have is small. I want to use it on my living room furniture, the mattress, pillows, carpet, inside my cupboards and the basement where we had a mold problem. That kind of stuff.

 

                The major problem with ultra-violet light is that the distance from the bulb to the contaminates is critical, the further away that the bulb is from the subject the less effect it has on it. Most, if not all bacteria can be destroyed by the use of UV light. With Molds we are expressing more inactivation than destroying as we would with Viruses or Bacteria. The main factors in disinfection are the amount of UV power the lamp produces and the length of time the contaminate is exposed to the light source. The energy required to kill microorganisms is a product of the UV light’s intensity  and the exposure time. This is measured in microwatt seconds per centimeter squared.  Intensity x Exposure Time = microwatt seconds/cm2.  But I am sure this is not what you are wanting, the technical jargon is enough to give anyone a reason not to go on. But I will simplify things, now that you have it down pat. The main thing is that the UV light you probably have is o.k. for the aquarium or the refrigerator or maybe a closet. Since you already know you have a problem with mold, be vary wary this can really create havoc upon your immune system and respiratory system.    The problem you have is the spores of molds can lie dormant until conditions are right and then start growing again, What is needed is to kill the spores that are everywhere and keep them in an inactive state. Most products I have tried have been a waste of money, but there are a few that actually work and I have had great success with them. These I will explain later, we need to get to the clean up of what you have at the moment. Direct exposure to Ultra Violet light breaks down rubbers and plastics and causes other products a short life, so you really don”t what direct exposure on a lot of household items. I did a small segment on my web log on Hydrogen Peroxide that you might want to read, But this is your key to getting things cleaned up and sanitized around the home. What I am about to express is not what people in my profession like to hear, But I want to help if I can. If you know anyone who has a swimming pool they most likely use a shock called Baccusil, This is 27% Hydrogen Peroxide and will kill any mold or bacteria as well as viruses. This substance I use to clean up mold in basements and under the crawlspace of contaminated homes, It works and works well. I dilute it 50/50 and make sure you use protective rubber gloves and safety glasses, this stuff will react like bleach and if you spray your self in the face you’ll wind up with white eyebrows. I use a garden sprayer and just saturate the area that’s contaminated. The interior of your home I would use the milder form that comes in the little brown bottle, Its is only 3% and is the best disinfectant I feel on the market.

                This should give you a starting place on your clean-up and I will go on and bore the dickens out of some people explaining Ultra Violet Lights, the ones that work and not the gimmicks. There are a few that I have tested that really do live up to their projected claims and some others that work very well, but have that high maintenance in order to keep them working properly and effectively. I don’t want this post to sound like any type of spam or promotions for any products so do your research. But I do want to give my experience with this subject totally unbiased and neutral. I'll finish this  another day.

Powered by LiveJournal.com